Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Sailed Away.....FMS606

 



This combo set of stencils, dies and stamps from Concord and 9th has sweet nautical images to use on "postage stamps".  My original plan was to make three stamps and use the sentiment "Lets sail away"  in the space Narelle marked for the sentiment.  I stamped out a rough draft on scrap paper before working on the real deal.  

But then doorbell rang - the pest control guy.  Yellow jackets recently built themselves a lovely condo under our dining room window.  The bee guy was great and explained all about the life cycle of the yellow jacket, how they lived, what was inside and what he would be doing.  It was like listening to a Disney nature program.  Then he suited up and headed to the side of the house while I watched from the front sidewalk.  He sprayed into the nest and there was a mass exodus.  A few more sprays and he got off the ladder. 

He crossed the yard to show me he had captured the queen,  She was quite feisty and was actually trying to bite him through his gloves....who knew? I then heard all about the queen and how she ruled her colony of yellow jackets. I was still fascinated and still in Disney mode when I asked, "Now what?"

He said the bees who escaped would keep returning looking for the queen but without her they would die off. And then he dropped the queen and stepped on her!!! I almost had a heart attack!  I don't think Walt Disney ended his nature films that way.......

I finally composed myself and headed back to my craft room to let the Big Guy deal with the rest of it.  And somehow during the hour I was gone "Let's Sail Away" sailed away.  I can't find that sentiment anywhere so I added postmarks and put a bigger sentiment across the bottom.  Perhaps the Queen gave one last command to some escaping drones to sneak into my craft room and........





Narelle has a great sketch for us this week!  Don't think she will mind my sentiment adjustment!  Hope you join us at Freshly Made Sketches!



Stamp Set: Seaside Post(Concord&9th)
Ink: Versamark Black, Harbor, Blueberry, Buttercup (Concord&9th), Smoky Slate (SU!)
Paper: Basic White



13 comments:

LeAnne said...

What a fabulous card....and a bee story I can relate to! I could go on FOREVER about the bee escapades in our little part of the woods! Suffice to say, one time I had to cancel a stamping class because they were taking over my house! ANYWAY, I hope you find your missing stamp....a few stories about them too! It's never a dull moment! But your card is a shining beacon, I love it!

stampwithamyk said...

Such a cute card! Love the way your design turned out...even with the missing sentiment. :) Glad that you survived the nest removal and hope that those escapees move on soon!

I Card Everyone said...

OH. MY. WORD. Here I am all smiles thinking about how the bees were flying elsewhere buzzing 'whistle while you work' following their Queen - and splat... there went my smile. I know it has to be done but wish those bees would wise up and be a little smarter about where to build their hives!
Your postage stamps are delightful, Linda and such a sweet way to use Narelle's Sketch.
=]

Vicki S said...

Cute card!

Cindy Beach said...

A great take on the sketch! Looked but did not find these products - they are super cute! Hope you find your missing sentiment. I alway love your stories, bee careful!

Lisa Elton said...

My parents just dealt with the same thing under their dining room window. I don't think their bee guy was quite as dramatic though! I just love your card to bits. That little starfish is cute and I like the postage elements. Hope you find the sentiment!

Amy O said...

I love this card! The change in design worked out beautifully - better for you than for the queen. :)

Claire said...

Your bee story made me laugh - poor queen bee! This set is so cute, loving the postage stamps and the sentiment's perfect, even though it's not the one you had in mind!

kareN stampZ said...

That's a hilarious story, the Queen's Revenge!! Love your card <3

Jen Timko said...

Definitely some revenge theft!! Sneaky little buggers. Love this fun card and all the sweet nautical elements.

Jen Brum said...

This is a fantastic card! I love the nautical theme and those sweet little elements! This is so fun! Hope the yellow jacket issue got resolved! We once had bumblebees build a nest under our deck. They were so cute but they had to be removed.

Karren said...

I hope you find your missing sentiment! But what a great recovery - not so great for the bee though!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow! How delightful! A little bit more of summer vibes is always welcome!