Wednesday, July 26, 2023

A Tale of Two Spectacles.....FMS496

 




These sweet birdies from Bird's Eye View are perfect to go along with my post today!

And the rest of the sentiment inside......






In the fall of 2022 my vision was fading fast as my cataracts worsened.  My eye doctor "cranked" (as he said) my prescription one last time and told me that was the best he could do until I was ready for surgery.  So I ordered new glasses with stronger lenses and made an appointment for a follow up in early 2023.  And finally those cataracts were ready to go!

After the first surgery those strong new glasses were of no use to me any more so I packed them away and used older weaker glasses from my stash. A month later was surgery number two and I continued wearing very old glasses. In June I returned to my optometrist and after my exam I spent a half hour deciding on a new frame - such a tough decision!

(A sidebar here for those of you who have had cataract surgery and are wondering why I  couldn't buy "cheaters" from the drug store like many people do.  I opted for the reverse lens.  I see perfectly up close and do not need my glasses for reading or computer work.  I do need them for distance so my new glasses are clear on the bottom and set for distance on the top.)


Two weeks later my new glasses were ready.  As I left to pick them up it dawned on me that I wouldn't have a spare pair any more so I grabbed the striped case from my drawer that held those hardly worn glasses with the very strong lenses.  At the doctor's I told the gal at the desk that I was going to leave my previous frames with her to put in the new prescription so I would have a spare.  She said "No problem - always fun to have a change too. So let's fit your new glasses now." 

And then it happened.....we both opened our cases to switch glasses.......and started to laugh..... 



Yep I picked the very same frames!





Have fun being creative with Judy's cool sketch this week at Freshly Made Sketches!




Stamps: Bird's Eye View (SU!), Funny Bones (Riley and Company)
Paper: Basic White, Lemon Lolly
Ink: Memento Black, Copics, Boho Blue


8 comments:

stampwithamyk said...

Such a cute little card! Love the owls with their glasses on. :) And spending 30 minutes picking out new frames only to pick the very same ones that I already have without knowing it is totally something that I'd do too! Ha!

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, do I ever relate to that sentiment, Linda! I think your dynamic duo look just dashing in their new specs! What a fun card - and SKETCH!
I SEE you made a great decision AGAIN! too funny!
=]

Judy Rozema said...

Well first of all, I had to put on my cheaters to read the sentiment HAHA! And then I laughed looking hard (with my cheaters to see the difference in the frame because I couldn't - so I kept reading HA!
I ADORE your card. I love that little bird set so much, and it's perfect for the sketch. I think they got the same frames too! Love it!

Lisa Elton said...

What a darling pair they are in their matching glasses! Such a cute card, Linda. I definitely needed my reading glasses to read the fun sentiment! Looks like you sure know what you like as far as frames go, too funny!

Jen Brum said...

This is such a fabulous card! Those birds are so cute and I love the glasses! I'm so glad you were able to get your surgery done and you're back on the mend! I hated picking out glasses. I need them for reading but should have gotten reading on the bottom and clear on top because I need them for pretty much everything now!

Kim S said...

I love those little guys and how absolutely perfect with that fun sentiment!! (And you definitely have a strong personal style as demonstrated by your duplicate glasses!!!)

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Love this bespectacled pair - and I totally identify with the sentiment and the joys of new specs! I too invested in 2 new pairs this past weekend (getting older but not cataracts yet thankfully!) I have worn glasses since I was a child, but for ages haven't had a spare pair - so I treated myself! Mine are both different though ;-)

Karren said...

Your story about your frames is so funny - we do tend to stick to what we like! And these glasses-wearing birds are cute - and that sentiment? Oh so very true!